04 September 2010

i'll try

Your comments and e-mails were so kind and encouraging. Some of the most powerful ones come from the people who e-mail telling us that we've made a difference to them--people who have adopted, who are adopting, who are thinking about adopting an older child...

I'll work on it.

And, there are always car stories, right?

We haven't had our car since we got back. It's registration expired. My kartooshka expired. When they went to renew my kartooshka, which had to be done before they renewed my registration, they discovered that when they last renewed my visa (only until 1 April--but we don't know why. I suspect it was a handwriting problem and was supposed to be 1 August. ) they didn't register me. So I had to be registered, my kartooshka had to be renewed and my car needed to be re-registered. And the battery died while this was happening, stranding it at the consulate. Add in the fact that the ever-helpful consulate motor pool staff is now not supposed to provide support for foreign-hires at the school (I don't know why), and it has been a long process.

Big surprise.

Today was our school's welcome picnic. We were eating scrambled egg sandwiches (yum) under the awning as it insistently drizzled when Lexi said, "Mama, there's our car." Without looking up I said, "It probably looks like our..." and looked at it.

Of course, I still don't know our new license number, since we've barely had the car since it got re-plated, so that didn't help. And it was cleaner than our car usually is...but we washed ours on one of our last days here..

"It IS our car! Good eye, Lex!"

Yes, we have a car again. Lexi scrambled into her carseat and sighed, "Oh, it's so nice to have our car again." And it started. And we drove it home.

Lexi is sitting in the window right now telling me, almost incredulously, "Mama, that's our car parked right outside!"

Simple joys.

I plan to have it vacuumed tomorrow on the way to pre-church shopping and to find out how to disconnect the battery (it's hidden). I'll just do that every time we park it.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Please if you can continue your blog. I am a Mom of a little boy from BH#3 and about to return to St Pete for a little girl from BH#12. I love reading about you guys in St Pete. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to try to live in St Pete as beautiful as it is. At the same time it seems so magical to be able to live with your daughter in her home country.

Anonymous said...

See, you can get a lot of mileage out of that car!

ha, ha... Ahem. Sorry. ;)

nicole said...

im thrilled your going to continue..in our house you and lexi are mini stars lololo..bigg hugs..

Maura said...

So glad to hear that you will continue blogging, at least for now. And how great to get your car back - love that Lexi spotted it.

Tina in CT said...

I'm so happy that you have reconsidered. We followed you on your path to find Lexi and we want to continue.

Good news about your car. What an ordeal it all has been.

Annie said...

I'd hate to have you disappear from my life Kate. Most of my IRL friends have disappeared, so I'd hate to lose the e ones, too.

I love the car stories. I love every part of it...

EasterApril said...

I'm so glad that you've reconsidered! I enjoy reading about Lexi and your life in Russia.

Debbie said...

Little eagle eyes! How cool...

Unknown said...

Hi Kate! Lexi is so CUTE! I was hoping to be able to ask you a few questions. My husband and I are looking into adopting from Russia. We are American (from Indiana) but currently living in Moscow (for the plast 17 months). My email address is: jenndama@hotmail.com

Thank You in advance!

Jenn