12 August 2006

charming

On the bottom of my acting resume, under the heading "Special Skills" there is a list of random things I can do that a casting director may find useful. At the end of that line, right after stage combat, it says "child charming".

I am a child charmer. I don't use a pipe and a basket, but I do seem to captivate children. Some of this is experience. But most of it, I think, is that I simply understand children. The same things that make me a good actor or a good psych student--excellent focus and listening skills and lots of empathy, the ability to play or be very still, a grasp of motivation--make me a child charmer. I guess.

I'm very confident around children. I feel like I know what I'm doing. Then I started reading about adopting post-institutionalized (pi) children. So many things about interacting with them is different. I encourage independence in children. PI children are too independent. They have spent their lives fending for themselves and need to be taught to trust and be dependent upon a parent.

Both spanking and time-outs are ineffective discipline measures. Spanking (and we're not talking in-the-heat-of-the moment; I mean calmly, lovingly, matter-of-factly with reconciliation afterwards), when you don't know the history of abuse, can be traumatizing or, at the very least, counter-productive. Time away from the scary world of "attaching" and being close is exactly what these children want. It is not a punishment to have time away from Mom--it's comforting, familiar territory.

Co-sleeping (in the same room or the same bed) is highly recommended for attachment. Watching videos/tv facilitates language building. (I still think I may be able to outtalk the tv...) Healthy food available 24/7 is advised to reduce hoarding behaviours. These are not things that I anticipated doing as a parent.

I was talking to my sister about these differences and she said that by adopting I'm levelling the playing field. That no one is supposed to know anything when having a child. (Amy, Lara thought that was very funny.)

I know that all the differences above are suggestions and "book learning"; that each child is unique and reacts according to both her own past experiences and her own personality. I'm glad I've read it, though. It will help when d2b gets home and we have to start peeling away past hurts and insecurities. (That made me think of Eustace in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" when Aslan takes off his thick, dragon skin and leaves him feeling very small and tender.) It's good to have someplace to start. But, I still think a little "deep listening" and child charming will stand me in good stead.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Child charming... sounds like you have what I call the "Mom Gene."

Raising a PI child is different, that's for sure. But your studying and learning and that's what's going to make you a great mom. (Just don't read any of the panicky freak-out books... they don't help!)

Lauri said...

Great Post.... your gonna be a great Mom... I too have always been the type that Kids are drawn to for some reason.. Trust your instincts is the best assvice or advice I can give.

Suzanne said...

LOVE the Aslan and Eustace comparison. Thanks for putting Aslan back into my day.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for participating in the round-up. It is up (finally) at Adoption Blogpost Roundup#2.

We are also accepting nominations for July's theme. Leave your ideas in the comments.

Annie said...

Ha! You wrote this SOOOOO long ago. Amazingly long ago. Frighteningly long ago. When you wrote this, I didn't have Ilya. When you wrote this I didn't have Maxim. How things can change......

Interesting post, though. You may find your "pi" child is not very "pi" at all. Mine have not been...only Ilya. And I attribute his personality/gifts/behaviors honestly, to fending for himself while mom drank herself silly with strangers, rather than anything to do with his last year or two in the orphanage.