12 March 2011

not a good 24

I am weary.

Our musical opens Friday. And, suddenly, I've got a parent telling me her daughter will be leaving rehearsal early on Tuesday. I replied, very, very kindly that this was a crucial week. I explained why we needed everyone and asked (I asked--didn't tell her) if we could please have M the whole time. I'd bring her home if transportation is an issue.

In reply I got a snarky e-mail about how much children have had to give up to be in this play, that some of the fees were not refundable for these activities. And, I was told that M would be leaving early.

In my defense, let me say that it was CLEARLY spelled out before you could even audition (both child and parent had to sign the form) that you must be at every rehearsal for the last two weeks. I worked around conflicts before then, but the last two weeks I can't. Both angry mom and M signed. I give out the schedule at the first rehearsal and stick to it. I don't add rehearsals. I let students out on time. Really, I am pretty amazing at this--especially for someone with an artistic bent.

And now...I get this. Does she think her child is doing me a favor by being in the play? I've done hundreds of plays. I been in this show! This is not for me. This is for our students, for her child. And, I've dragged MY child to every rehearsal but one in order to do this. For our students. For her child.

I suspect she's mad about something else and taking it out on me. (She send another rabid e-mail to the office staff Friday to complain about the lack of advertising--which was completely untrue, so she's obviously on a tear.) But it's still rotten. And it still means I've got to make a phone call tomorrow and tell her that if M isn't at that rehearsal for the full time on Tuesday she can't be in the play. And I hate confrontation. LOATHE it. I'm awful at it.

And if she holds her ground it's going to generate baaaad feelings. And poor M will be caught in the middle.

AND a parent came to me Friday morning and told me his wife was keeping their daughter home because she'd been teased and had her hair pulled. I casually asked the second graders and the students all seemed genuinely puzzled. I called and left a message about that and asked for names. The reply was that two girls in the classroom had ripped out her ponytail and threw the bands in her face. In the classroom? Where was I? How did I not know? I feel just awful. So there's that, too. And we're going to go look for it on video. Seeing myself fail, even if it isn't in living color, isn't going to be fun.

And grades have to be on report cards by Wednesday morning. And I haven't started. Or given the math assessment to everyone yet. Or to anyone.

And I have a new student who is a very...entitled child. He is relentless in trying to find out if the line has any give in it. It doesn't, but I'm the one who drew the line and has to keep it taut. (I guess the line is a bit of a rope, then.) Fortunately my little class (I was so cheered by them until I heard about the bullying) is more shocked by his behavior than amused, so that will help it end sooner. (His mother proudly, proudly told me he was the class clown in his old school. Great. Thanks. We don't really do that here.)

Next week the show will be over, the bullying will be sorted, and the new prince will have found out that the line doesn't budge.

Oh. New student tomorrow. No English.

So. For tonight will just focus on the little chicken (she the giant's chicken in the play) in my own house. She's currently digging through the utility box while wearing a bikini and sparkly flipflops. She's just discovered some 3M hooks I got last summer and never put up. I told her when we bought them that we could use one for her backpack. Unfortunately, she remembers that. So now I've got to go and find a place to hang the hook.

Hope your weekend--and the week that preceded the end of it--is better! May there be no snarky e-mails and safety for all.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Here's hoping the next episode is better!

What is the play?

kate said...

Into the Woods

Thanks, Rach.

Marshwiggles said...

Sorry, friend. Wish I could bring you a Coke and brownies and watch some Brit flick with you.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Ugh - people.

I think it's definitely time to move!

Know that you (and your little chicken) are in my prayers.

cm

Lindsay said...

I loathe confrontations with parents too. And so sorry to hear about the complaint - stuff like that is so hard to deal with emotionally. Hope you all have it sorted out by now. All the best to you and the lovely Lexi. Hope the play goes wonderfully well. We wish we could come see it.