07 September 2007

definition, please

I was reading aloud one of my favorite books, Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary. I've read it to every class I've ever taught. All of them love Ramona--and love being nostalgic about the far distant past when they were in kindergarten. My class clamors for "Ramona time" and would even trade it for recess. My teaching assistant loves to listen and says she often wants to applaud Ramona's adventures.

Today Ramona's mother was "exasperated". We stopped to guess what that might mean, thinking about what had just happened in the story. Most of the definitions were, "Is it like _____?" and the student made a face to indicate their emotional guess. (I love the way they define things.)

After talking about it some more (with some examples of things in the classroom that might make their teacher exasperated) one of my little girls said, "Is it like when my mom is busy doing something or many things and my dad is just sitting on the couch and me and my sister say, 'Moooom. MOM!!' and my mom says, 'WHY CANNOT YOU ASK YOUR FATHER?!!?' "

I told her that was the best definition of "exasperated" that I'd ever heard.

(In case you're wondering the three words that most often pepper their writing after reading this book are reluctant, indignant and exasperated.)

12 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, I love the Ramona books.

That is a perfect definition! What a smart kid. ;)

I thought maybe you were going to say how perhaps YOU might personally be a little exasperated (perhaps with your agency?).

Anonymous said...

Ryan and Emily's first grade teacher read Ramona to them in her TN accent and they loved it. I think that definition of exasperated pretty much sums up my life!
Love, Nif

Debi said...

young minds are fantastic that is one of my favorite things about teaching those young minds..

Anonymous said...

Just today I used the word exasperated in a sentence. Those Ramona books sure stay with you :).

Tami said...

Oooooh! We love Ramona! Punky and I finished Ramona the pest a few months ago and are now working on 'Ramona the Brave.' I bought her the whole series last year for her birthday and we're slowly, but surely making it through the whole batch! :)

votemom said...

great post!

"exasperated" is a good word for what you must be feeling right now too.

we often check out the ramona books-on-tape before long road trips. my teenagers still love them.

(so do dad & mom!)

Anonymous said...

That is the PERFECT definition for exasperated. I dare even Webster to better it... "GO FIND YOUR FATHER!!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

I love the description that little girl in your class gave for exasperation! It sounds like your class really got the meaning in context and how neat to have them enjoy listening to the story instead of recess. Romona brings me back for sure.

Beckie

Jenni said...

Smart girl!

Calico Sky said...

Oohhh I have the Ramona books ready and waiting! Do you know that here they change the words to make them more "British"!

kate said...

spesh--yes...and i think they lose some of their charm in the process.

Maura said...

I've always loved Ramona. And clearly her adventures give enough clues for your class to figure out the definitions - LOVE the one the little girl provided!