01 November 2007

just the doctor

Any Dr. Who fans out there? Having grown up as a Star Wars kid (the real Star Wars...when the movies had names and weren't just episodes...) I do have a soft spot for science fiction. Now, it's not all science fiction I like. I has to have a good story, be consistent and clever, and have a strong woman character. A trekkie I am decidely not.

I just finished season three of the new Dr. Who. When I was teaching in England my class loved Dr. Who. The whole school would be buzzing the Monday after each new episode. The creepiest one was The Lost Child. SCARY!

Here are a few of my thoughts on the first three seasons of the new Doctor:

I really like Christopher Eccleston and surprised my self by liking David Tennant as well. Loyalties and all...I'm still a Tom Baker fan! But, the brillance Dr. Who is the whole regeneration angle. We can like as many actors as they cast. Smart. Good plan. The loyalty becomes more to the character than to the actor. (Not great for the actor, but...)

I liked season three the best. Why? The absence of Billie Piper! There were some great stories in the first two seasons, but she drives me crazy! She's just dim and trashy. I was so sick of hearing about Rose. I don't think I'm the only one. I think the character of Martha Jones (so much more likable, imho, played by Freema Agyeman) reflected the sentiments of many viewers. She was sick of hearing about Rose. The best bit of Miss Piper's stint on the series was when Rose's body was taken over by another alien who exclaimed in disgust and dispair, "I'm a chav!" Yep. Complete chav.

If there's one thing I ask of the Dr. Who writers it's this: Leave Rose stranded in her alternate universe forever. Do not find a way to bring her back.

Unfortunately, that this new series reflects the, shall we just call it "liberal" agenda, of it's creative team fairly blatantly. Ick. There is a lot to look past. (Don't even try watching the spin-off series T*rchwood. I won't even write it's name here. ICK!) But, it's worth a look. (The other is not.) I don't think it's great for kiddos, although that's its target audience--and it airs at 7 p.m. in the UK, because of the scariness, the violence and the aforementioned thinly veiled agenda.

Okay...since I suspect this will not be the most universal of topics, I'll stop here. But, I'm happy to carry on if you comment. ;>

5 comments:

votemom said...

i've never heard of the show. but, then again, i watch very little tv so i could just be oblivious.

8 more days..................

Anonymous said...

OK. Shelby here again. Well, I just found your recent blogs and caught up. I am really glad to hear that the HS will be coming up soon and I hope all goes well with finishing it quickly. I can't imagine how you have been dealing with this emotional chaos of adoption, that hovers constantly much like a vulture, for this long. I pray it comes to completion soon! I know you don't know me, but I am excited to hear how things go, and I like reading your blogs. Paka

Debi said...

Kate...I liked the old I mean really old Dr. Who and I am confident that I am much older then you...DH and I watched them in college...but I can not get into the new Who...wish I did so we could talk about it but I just am not having any luck with it...

Anonymous said...

Eric is a big Dr. Who fan and has been watching Torchwood lately. I will direct him to your post and see if he responds. Nif

Andrea said...

Gotta disagree :P I mean, I have no particular love for Billie Piper, but I loved the addition of Rose as the human element. She was a child, really-- she was reckless and impulsive, she had all the outbursts and wide-eyed wonder of a little girl, and for some reason, I really liked that. Martha . . . oh poor Martha, she could have been so much more than they let her be. I read an article or interview a while back where they admitted Martha was never meant to be more than a transitional type of companion, and the throwaway attitude they demonstrated toward the character just made me annoyed, all the more so because it came across in the show, too; they just sort of chucked her away, and never really gave her much of a character beyond that of fangirl. She's much more riveting in series four; she only makes a couple appearances but they were enjoyable, and she was more her own person. I tell ya- Donna makes _everything_ better!

(I am currently acquiring some of the Pertwee/Baker episodes with Sarah Jane, and I am looking forward to seeing those)