29 October 2008

speed bump, eta

DHS Moscow says my fingerprints were rejected. (Don't remember the exact verbige.) These were the fingerprints we submitted in JUNE.

They told me to resubmit. On the little cards.

But the consulate doesn't HAVE the little cards and told me to just print out the form.

Great. SW not answering e-mails. Wondering if we send in the update before we have the actual I171H if this will speed things up or slow things down.

Edited to add...

Do you remember Simon on Captain Kangaroo? (Well you know my name is Simon, and the things I draw come true...) Sometimes it seems like I have his computer. I posted there was no news on my I171H and I got that message about my fingerprints. (Now they say maybe they will use old fingerprints. Quick vent: I cannot stand the new policy they have at the Moscow DHS office of not giving out names. There used to be a very nice, incredibly helpful woman there named Christie Lloyd. Now, it's just messaged from "The Public Liason Unit". And if you call, they won't tell you to whom you're speaking. How is that a security issue? Edited vent inc case they are reading. ) And, after I wrote this post, my sw e-mailed me with an encouraging possibility. She isn't answering her phone yet, but...I'll call that progress.

Ohhh the power. Maybe this is my new hero power. I have fingers that can type the future!

No. Too much pressure. I need to have this power removed. (But, um, I'm not giving it to that bad guy. Chah!)

14 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh man. Do you know why your first set of fingerprints weren't accepted? Don't tell me it was because they weren't on the little cards.

InventingLiz said...

Arrgh! So sorry you have to deal with such bureaucracy (stupidity?). Why didn't they know the fingerprints were no good before now?

Melissa said...

this is ridiculous. just give you your daughter and be done with it. how long are they going to keep stringing you along

Heidi said...

Frustrating. Let's us cut out the fingerprints and use double stick tape to put them on the little cards and resubmit them. Don't you wish that would actually work? Although it's kinda like answering stupid with stupid.
June was a long time ago, maybe you have changed identities since then and/or aquired these super powers...
Always remember to use your powers for GOOD.
;)
(and keep up the humor, it will pull you through)

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

It sounds like your trying to adopt from Ukraine with all the stupid little things that are standing in your way.

Suzanne said...

ARGH!!!!

Andrea said...

Hurray for encouraging possibilities! And my goodness, that is a superpower I would LOVE to have. I am just dizzy with thinking of everything I might accomplish.

rolise said...

I am hard to fingerprint. When I first started working for the govt about 18 yrs ago, I was fingerprinted. Then 6 mos. later again, I think it took four times until they were accepted. It is something about legibility. When we did our fingerprints for our adoption it was on a computer and the dhs lady was frustrated with me but at least the computer passed or failed them on the spot. My current agency also has a portable fingerprint computer thing and it also does an immediate pass/fail. I think with the fingerprint cards they all go to one place for review, probably back here in the states and just imagine if that was your job. Ask if they have a machine in Moscow if you make the trip.

Annie said...

Wowwweee...sort of good - there at the end.

Totally TYPICAL there at the beginning. That's adoption for you. One could make faces and say it's RUSSIA....but our DHS people are so difficult that I now know this officialdom-power-trip stuff is universal.

Rachael said...

Have you seen the ads for the new Adam Sandler kids' movie? With the raining gumballs? And the "Burn, Baby Burn..." (my kids crack up everytime they see the preview.) This reminds me of that. Yes, I am comparing you to Adam Sandler, but...if you've seen the previews, I think you'd laugh. (Slingbox working?)

Still sucks about the fingerprints.

6blessings said...

Kate, I haven't been able to keep up much on blogs. However, it is good to see that there are possibilites now for you. I hope you hear soon. My friend is on her second adoption from where I am and is having all kinds of trouble getting her paperwork too. She waited 6 weeks on adoption one and even had to redo fingerprints. Now, on adoption two, it has been 18 weeks with no redos and all the agency can get is thanks for your patience. I feel so sorry for both of you. You have been waiting forever and will be such a wonderful mother. I hope it comes through soon for you. You've waited far too long! BTW, the Seussical pics were too cute!!

Kay B said...

Kate,

No, don't give up your power, just keep using it. Your powers get stronger as you learn to use them! - Do you LOVE Heroes!? We do! :)

Now, too bad you can't send Syler into the Consulate to throw a few people around and get them to move you forward on this process!

I don't know about the 'little' cards, but if you print them out on your computer won't they just say that you didn't use the original 'little' cards? I don't know what the protocol is with the cards, but seems pretty silly to get rejected because of the wrong version of some governmental form!

I, with my magical mom powers, predict that you will get good news before Thanksgiving! maybe if we keep predicting it we can make it happen! Come on, say it with me - Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving!

Deb said...

What a crazy day!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Simon from Captain Kangaroo, but Mike Myers (I think) did Simon on SNL a few years back. Sounds like it was based on the Capt. K. character. Anyway, sounds like a good super power to have! Hang onto it--I may need you to use in on my behalf one of these times!