11 February 2007

in the right

A friend from the UK shared that her partner (read "boyfriend") is having some frustrations with the Russian women who work for the consulate there. They will never admit they are wrong. Never. They've been caught in the middle of wrong-doing and will blatantly say it's not them. These are not major, earth-shattering mistakes. It could be something as simple as using the wrong color pen to sign a document. Still, presented with the evidence, they will deny that they were wrong. They will look at the ink and tell you black is blue.

I've had similar experiences with my facilitators in the US, but didn't recognize it as a cultural difference until my friend shared this with me. The latest, which is a little tiny, tiny thing that's driving me crazy, is about a lost check. I sent it in November. I know I did because we had to verify everything and include it on the customs form before I sent it. The check was there.

The check has not been cashed. I asked them about it when they were telling me how much I owed for apostille charges because the check I sent wasn't taken into account. They didn't cash a check I sent in August until November, so I wasn't overly concerned before then. But, they didn't have the check. I've said that I'll send a new check to replace it and one of the facilitators is fine with that. But. The other day I was asked (presumably by the other facilitator though the e-mail was unsigned) what I'd done about the check. It basically was saying that I was at fault, that I hadn't sent them a check.

I should've just stayed butter-won't-melt. But I didn't. I know it's a little, little thing but I couldn't. I'm sitting here waiting and watching the clock tick by, hoping that the inefficiencies on their part will not make the difference in whether or not my paperwork is filed before my agency's accreditation ends. And, so, I couldn't. I said I thought that they'd probably thrown the check out accidentally. Because, really, they probably did. Really, that's what I think. And I said it.

Cold reply. They had never received a check. But, this time I didn't present my customs story (though I did keep it in reserve). I simply said that it was sent with the second batch of documents and it wasn't a big deal to replace it.

And there was no answer to that e-mail, so I'm claiming the point. How sad is it that I feel the need to claim a victory this small? It's just that I'm so tired of being told I didn't do things that I did. I'm tired of being told I've been told things I haven't. I'm tired of all the paper-bungling and procrastination that's gone on. And I'm worried that all this garbage is going to delay my paperwork to the point that it's too late.

So, yes. I was petty. I am petty. I admidt it. I needed acknowledement that this time, they made a mistake.

I just hope this mistake is the last.

8 comments:

Maggie said...

I'd claim victory on that one, too. I didn't realize that was a cultural trait (never really noticed that with my old agency... but my coordinator was Ukrainian not Russian). I have a non-Russian new coworker who has that trait and it annoys me to no end. The other day she "replied to all" on an email and it included a client of ours. It was something she had nothing to do with (myself and the graphic designer were helping the customer). Her reply said "Why hasn't anyone gotten back to this customer yet." And it went to the CUSTOMER! I called her on it and she did everything she could to make it clear that she hadn't done that and was just trying to help the client. Hello. The email is right there. It was so weird how she kept denying it. Long story, sorry. But I understand your frustration.

Brandie said...

I hear you loud and clear. No you weren't being petty. For the most part our social worker has been great. But now that we're getting the loose ends done.. she doesn't seem to get my e-mails and she isn't one who always replys when she gets one. SO I'll let a few days pass and call and ask if she did what I asked.. and she says "oh, no I never got the e-mail" or if she has a request she'll wait for me to call and she'll say I tried e-mailing you four or five times but it just won't go through. How ironic NOBODY ELSE has these problems... ONLY HER. Like I said she's been good up to now, so I try to be as sweet as candy but soon I'm going to turn into a jaw breaker!!

Calico Sky said...

from your typing to God's ears!

Anonymous said...

Oh man...I don't know what to say. You are in no way petty. You are adopting and providing these people with the necessary paperwork and checks...and they lose everything. And they fail to state that, insinuating that you are insane and unorganized. Time to get anal...when you send this new check, scan it and send a copy if it via email and state when it's going into the mail. Send a copy of the mail to yourself and followup with them every 5 days, picture of the check attached.

If that doesn't work, I say we send a bag of dogcrap to them.

Jenni said...

I would be very frustrated in your shoes too, and wanting to claim any victory I could.

We had similar problems with the first agency we were with (which was run by a Russian woman with a lot of experience in adoptions). Everything we sent to them was misplaced, adn they took months to respond to us when we asked questions or tried to follow-up. In the end, we switched agencies, and everything went smooth from there on out.

I don't know if it was a cultural thing with our first agency, but it certainly drove us crazy. It was a whole new world when we switched to our new agency, and things started moving! Moving quickly, in fact.

I hope that this is the last of the mistakes you have to deal with.

Jeff & Maria said...

Looking forward to meeting you in Moscow. We have so much to talk about. Maria

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, that is also something you'll often see in Ukraine. I don't know if you're petty, but sometimes you just get tired of the injustice. More often than not, it's a small thing that makes you determined to draw that line in the sand. Sometimes fighting back does get better results, I guess you'll find out soon!

Gina Marie said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings! I have heard some of these same sentiments from a friend who is adopting and I am so relieved she is not along (but sad that it is the truth!). I am hoping that this too shall pass.