11 March 2010

decimation of the village

I am fortunate to have a very wide, very supportive "virtual village". There are so many people supporting us from afar. And for this, I am grateful.

Our physical village is much smaller. It's primarily limited two of my friends--both of whom teach at our school. These friends are the only people Lexi calls "Tyotya" (auntie). They adore her and would slay dragons for her.

These are the friends she races upstairs to see first thing every morning,

who will clear the classroom to let her dance,

who will make the ENTIRE first grade scoot over
in the middle of the Christmas concert so that Lexi can get
onstage (last minute mind-change) and sing. And then they'll take pictures.

These are the friends who stood up with us for Lexi's baptism.

They're the only grown-up friends whom Lexi is allowed to hug and accept gifts from.

We love these friends. LOVE THEM. One is a new friend this year and the other is a dear friend of many years.

And both of them are leaving next year.

I knew one was leaving. She has simply been here long enough. I know this. I KNOW she is leaving. But I can't imagine our life here without her. She not only slays dragons, she seeks them out and THEN slays them. Just today, she grabbed hold of the tail of what might have been a dragon and might just have been an iguana, whipped it out, spun it around her head a few times, banged it into submission on the floor, and THEN slayed it. She will leave an un-fillable hole.

I only found out that my other friend was leaving about a month ago.

There's not much else to say, really, except I really and truly don't know what we'll do without them. I just feel at a total loss. It's a huge, huge loss. The huts in this village looking mighty empty.

20 comments:

votemom said...

quite possibly one of the saddest posts ever. and i totally get the grief over these losses. i love you.

The Accidental Mommy said...

Argh, that STINKS!

Jen said...

So sorry that your "in real life" support system is moving on and leaving you behind. I'm bummed out for you.

Glue Dots & Applesauce said...

Dragon slayers are hard to come by. I'm so sorry yours will be leaving soon. Virtual friends are great, but friends you can touch are vital. I hope two great folks come in to your school. :)

Calico Sky said...

Sadly living in another country, I understand this all too well.

(((hugs)))

Lindsay said...

It's one of the most difficult things in an international school.

Come to Slovakia ;)

julian said...

Aw KatieKat..I know how important to have those dragon slayers around..But as you said to Annie, "chin up buttercup" you will be making your own big life decisions soon, and then you can find more IRL slayers!!

Annie said...

Oh, poor Kate..... It is so hard to feel alone like that.

I know something of it this year, and I am very grateful for the virtual village.....but it scares me since I'm not sure it is quite SANE to rely on e-friends so much.....

ko said...

MAN! THAT SUCKS! Well I hope you survive! Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

oh, man - that blows. the village is so very important. i'm sorry - and i'm hoping some new members of the village arrive/reveal themselves soon.

please know that your virtual village loves you!!

Rachael said...

Sorry. That is certainly crummy news. Although I love the image of your iguana/dragon slayer friend. Everyone needs a friend or two like that. I hope you find suitable replacements! (Well, that didn't sound right...not that they can be replaced, but you know what I mean, I hope!) Virtual hugs - since I can't give you a real one.

Tina in CT said...

Crappy! I'm sure you and your two friends will be on Skype a lot but that doesn't replace being in the same location. I hope they returned to the States so when you and Lexi come back to the US, you'll be able to see one another. Maybe a really nice new teacher will arrive for the next school year.

Lea said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is such a huge loss to you both. I will pray for you. God will provide, one way or another.

Unknown said...

All I can say is BOO HISS! I'll do some pouting about this for you, so you don't have to worry about it :)

Maura said...

Such a loss for you and Lexi - I'm so sorry to read this. Hopefully some other friends will emerge to provide friendship and support for you, even if they can't be the wonderful dragon slayer.

Jim said...

I believe the Lord is at work. As much as it hurts to be losing these precious friends, perhaps He is preparing you for the next chapter in your life. In the midst of this suffering, don't succumb to the temptation to forget what He can do (has done) through suffering.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

Ugh - bless your heart. Grief stinks.

Lindy D. said...

Oh, no! Is one of these the first grade teacher you were hoping that Lexi would have?

beckyww said...

Wish I could hug your neck.

Jenni said...

So sorry that your dragon slayers will be leaving. Friends like that are true and rare, and I know they will be missed.