02 August 2007

the eyes have it

How quickly can you pick up an eye infection?

I was at the children's homes on Wednesday, had a rotten night Wednesday with itchy eyes, insomnia and sensitive ankles (I promise I'm not making that up. How could I?) and woke up Thursday with red, oozy, itchy eyes and a low-grade fever. I've put some Neosporin** on them, and they're better, but not well yet.

**Okay, don't laugh. I meant to do this. One time, while I was acting professionally and had no insurance, I got pink eye. I put some antibiotic ointment that was left over from the time I had surgery on my foot to remove a piece of glass on my itchy, oozy eyes. I have no idea what prompted me to do so. The next day, at the doc-in-the-box, my eyes were completely clear! Doctor said my ointment application was probably more effective than the rx eyedrops b/c the ointment stayed on the eye.

Wanted to close with Neosporin's new tagline: "The better to see you with, my dear."

DISCLAIMER: The tube says not to put this in your eyes. So don't. Something bad might happen to you. Just because it passed the it-doesn't-hurt-so-how-could-it-harm? test administered by Kate, and has proved effective several times over, doesn't mean you should try this. (I, however, live in Russia. 'Nuff said.) I disclaim all responsibility for any outcomes of you sticking things in your eye.

12 comments:

Debi said...

OK now that was a funny entry...I think you do what works...even if you stick things in your eyes that your not supposed to..

and yes, I think you can get an eye infection pretty darn fast..sorry:( feel better

Lisa said...

Yep, conjunctivitis is contagious in a big way and fast! Antihistamines help too... orally, not in your eyes! Not sure what you have access to, but something like benadryl would help with the itching.

Lauri said...

Feel better soon.. Pink eye is not fun at all.... get well soon

Anonymous said...

Sorry you got pink eye, but glad you found a fast resolution, but I will follow your disclaimer and not put it in my eye. Did you actually put it in your eye or just on the edge of your eyelid. Being a kid, you would know not to rub it and therefore getting it on your pupil. If one of our children get conjunctivis my husband ALWAYS gets it and I never do. Odd or what?

I hope to follow your blog, it is is delightful.

Beckie

votemom said...

funny stuff kate.

Melissa said...

I think you should alert the FDA that you just conducted a research study proving the effectiveness of neosporin for eye infections.

Anonymous said...

Well, it DID treat an infection...

Debi said...

Kate...Votemom says funny stuff she forgets she is now a mom two two infection attracting machines!! Hope your doing better.

Unknown said...

OK, so maybe Neosporin needs to go on my 'list' of OTC meds I need to travel with. Sounds like it can multitask for a variety of ailments. Who knew?!!

Today my Dr. also told me that Pepto Bismol has a slight antibiotic effect so it wouldn't hurt for us to take it everyday when we are travelling 'just in case'.

Well, I just thought that maybe that advice is not too good for you, because I don't think you want to take it every day while you are in Russia!! - Not sure how long you are planning to stay in Russia, but it seems long-term. ;)

Calico Sky said...

How I missed your blog!!!
Poor you, not nice!

votemom said...

thanks a lot debip!

guess who woke up with her eye all matted? she was funky and cranky all morning and didn't eat much. she's alseep now... maybe i should dig out the neosporin?

Melissa said...

Ugh! Pink eye sucks. I got it at sleep away camp when I was eight. It went rampid around the camp. Luckily I was the only one in my bunk to catch it.