07 July 2005

almost there...

My mind is already in Russia. As my students and I complete our last two weeks of school here in England, I spend my hours outside of class planning and dreaming of my next adventure.

I've recieved my class list for next year. The demographics are amazing. Of my 20 students,
* 7 are third graders and 13 are second graders.
*7 are boys and 13 are girls.
*1 is from the UK, 1 is from the US, and the rest are from Germany, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Israel, Korea, Japan, India, Estonia, Lithuania and Russia. What an international group!

I am so grateful for the warm, friendly welcome I've received from everyone at AAS. It makes me feel like I'm headed home! And speaking of home, the principal of AAS-SP e-mailed me this yesterday:

Now for housing, we have secured a three bedroom apartment for you. It is very nice. It is located just around the corner and down the street from our place. You will be about 20 minutes from the school, 3 minutes from the Field of Mars, 5 minutes from the Summer Garden, 5 minutes from the Hermitage, 5 minutes from the Church on the Spilled Blood, and one street from the Niva embankment. It is a very nice place.

You will have your own heating system as opposed to all of us who are on the city's heat. The only control we have is to open our windows. The apartment is furnished.

We have an official listing of things, but it is in Russian. Believe me, you will not be short anything when you arrive.

It's all pretty amazing, isn't it? Please join me in giving thanks for this opportunity that is set before me.

Warmly,

Kate

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, three bedrooms, controllable heat, sounds even better than that "other" apartment in Moscow! Can't wait to see pictures and how wonderful for you to have a nice home to move to. Am thankful with you.

Curious Servant said...

I'm enjoying your continuing adventure.

Anonymous said...

The accommodations sound fantastic! What will you do with three bedrooms????
I originally thought you would be teaching Russian children - I guess I need to learn more about the organization for which you're working. :) Do all the children already have a good background in English? - Guess you can't answer that until after you've met them! I know for sure that they will love you! Aunt Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds fantastic. Everything really seems to be falling into place. Good luck finishing out the week. Love, Julie