19 March 2007

getting rid

Okay, fair warning. This post is about a Bible verse that hit me over the head as I loaded my duvet cover into the tumble dryer.

It's Ephesians 4:31.

I was walking to school today thinking about how the anger and frustration I feel towards my agency is only hurting me. It's not making them accomplish things quicker. It's not doing anything to get my d2b home faster. At the rate I'm going, I'd snatch her/them from their hands after court with a very bitter heart. How can that be good? How can we start a new life with my heart in that state? I don't want to be a bitter, unforgiving Mom. What a rotten example that would be! I want my d2b to be warm, compassionate and loving. I need to work harder at being that way now.

I do regularly pray thankfully for all my "trials". It is the best way I've come up with so far for dealing with them. I give thanks for the extra time I have to prepare and save money. I am thankful for the deeper cultural understanding I have of the workers at the agency and the culture in which d2b is currently living. I pray for the people who are driving me crazy and for every hand that touches my paperwork. I pray for d2b and for the people who care for her/them. It helps. I just need to do more of it!

I did post some quotes a half hour ago (Elle caught them!) centering on the theme of "useless". Actually, they are quite funny and I may post them at a later date. But today, as I struggle to be gracious when dealing with an agency I feel is pretty useless, I didn't think I should fan my own flame.

So instead I'm posting the verse that just hit me. I was doing laundry this afternoon and this verse leapt to mind: Eph. 4:31a "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger..."

No, they haven't answered my questions about registering independently. Yes, they continue to be didactic and snarky and a bit power-mad. But, I can't change them. I can only change me. Taking care of myself is a big enough job for me to handle. (Hmmm..those bits of advice are ones I regularly hand out to my second graders...)

10 comments:

Maura said...

Kate, you are a wise woman. And a strong one to try not to let these frustrations get to you.

I just hope the accreditations happen again soon - your story so needs and deserves its happy ending.

Maggie said...

I think about the same thing. Do I want to be tired, frustrated, and stressed when I bring my child home? Absolutely not. It's hard to sustain a positive attitude in the face of delays and red tape. Good for you for reminding yourself (and me, too).

Deb said...

Thanks for posting this. I am struggling with keeping a good attitude at work right now and this is perfect for me right now.
I'm praying that the get their act together and help you bring you d2b home soon.

mommyto5 said...

Yes Kate we all have to be reminded by God some times:)when we most need it. Prayers to you and your d2b:)

Melissa said...

I think in some way - or another - we all fall prey to the bad attitude. I know I do! Thank you for sharing that verse with us & letting it hit us (well, at least me!) over the head as well!!!

Anonymous said...

Kate, I'm not a religious person, but I admire your ability to pray for your trials. You're a strong woman.

And St. Pete's accepts independent adoptions. Is this something you have to step outside of the agency for?

Lauri said...

Hugs.... sending you some hugs & good vibes across the miles.... great thinking about karma and sending positive vibes to your agency matter no how much they piss you off..what you put out comes back ten fold... keep on keeping on

Laura said...

Gosh Kate,
I hope things move quicker for you!!
Hugs,
Laura

DeanaMarie said...

Boy, have I ever been where you are? YES!!!

I am praying for you! God is doing a work on us, isn't He?

Your day will come and d2b is going to be one fortunate soul to have such a wise mommy!

6blessings said...

Having a good attitude in trials is one of the hardest things. You are doing great by holding fast to the Word and trying to change your attitude. I need to remember that verse more often too. I really hope things straighten out for you.