30 July 2007

some.one's.been.moving.my.y.y.car

Did you sing along, Giants' fans? (Well, they might be giants...you never know. Laughing at myself...)

On Saturday, I left the flat at noon to go pick up my friend Kat at the airport. You remember what happened after I picked her up. This is the story of before I picked her up. I had some groceries I wanted to stick in her 'fridge so that in her jetlagged state she's have something to eat at 4 a.m. I headed out the door and-yep-no car.

I dropped my bags inside my entryway and headed out to search. I checked the usual places...and didn't find my car. I asked a policeman (here--since you think it's so entertaining to have me struggle in Russian, I'll tell you what I said):

"Hello. Excuse me. I speak only a little Russian. Yesterday my car there, at my house on (address given). Now, I don't know where my car is. Is it possible to help please? (I often forget my formal "you" verb endings when I'm on the spot...so I just talk in infinitives.)

He told me at was on Moika 61--and pointed in the opposite direction. Thinking I mixed up 61 and 16, I confirmed the direction (There?) and walked on. I walked and walked and asked and asked and found my car an hour and a half later. It was, indeed, just past Moika 61--which is across Nevsky and almost to St. Isaac's...about a mile away.

Why was my car moved this time? Was there royalty visiting? Another rollerbalde rally/bike race/marathon taking place? No. The Rolling Stones were in town and were perfoming down the street in Palace Square. I've never been asked for my papers on the street until Saturday. I had to show them to get back to my house. Security for Mick was tight.

Here are pictures from the last time my car was towed. The princess of Thailand (or something...) was visiting. Her motorcade was going to drive down the street and so all the cars were towed. My neighbor knocked on my door to tell me they were towing it, but I was pajama-clad. So, instead, I leaned out the window and took pictures for you.

First, they drove up next to my car.

They attached the lift-thingy and picked up my car...

...and put it on the back of the truck...

...and drove it away.

Fortunately, this time they left it in a convenient spot--in the parking lot of the energy building about a block away (Yes, this camera has a good zoom.) AND I saw where they left it.

19 comments:

votemom said...

we saw those tow trucks in moscow and thought they seemed like a good invention.

sorry for you tho - that is just insane that they can just tow it and take it wherever they want - how BIZARRE!

Anonymous said...

How crazy is that! How are you supposed to know where they move your car? Insane....

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh Kate - your car is having it's own adventures in St. Petersburg!!! I can't believe how often they have moved it...

Rachael said...

Oh, such a good Blogger you are to think quickly to take the pics!

Tami said...

That's crazy! How are you supposed to know where to look for your car?!
BTW - Sorry for pre-empting your 'show'. Tee-hee-hee. I PROMISE I'll write it today and get it posted. :) I promise!

Anonymous said...

You need a gps on that thing so you can find it.. it is crazy that they dont tell you where they move it to or that they are moving it in the first place


Lauri

Anonymous said...

That is a complete pisser.

Jane said...

That tow truck is amazing! I'm sorry your car got towed though. I'm with the others, how are you supposed to know where it landed? Jane

Maggie said...

I'd be freaking out seeing my car picked up like that. I hope the paint didn't get damaged.

Unknown said...

Man, I don't know how you deal with that? I totally expect my car to be where I left it.
When you started telling why it was moved I immediately thought of an article I read recently where Russian Women in St. Pete were racing down the street in high heels - for some cash prize if I recall. I thought maybe it was your street they were doing that on. But then you would have posted about such a sight now wouldn't you ?

Anyway, glad you found your car. Check out my blog - we have good news!

Debi said...

I can't even comment on how absurd that is Kate...

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious, but only because I'm not the one trying to find my car. I mean, I have enough trouble locating it when it *hasn't* been relocated by magic tow trucks in the middle of the night.

Jenni said...

OMG, that is crazy! Funny, yes, but crazy too.

I love the other posters comments about you car having it's own adventures in St. Petersburg. :)

Holly said...

I've heard of musical chairs, but musical cars? Ugh, how frustrating but comical too, in a way. Ok, do tell...what camera were you using?

ferenge mama said...

wow - that is completely nutty! i can't believe they can just pick up your car and put it WHEREVER.

that would completely freak me out.

sounds like you live on street where lots of visiting dignitaries come and visit... or does this happen all over Moscow?

Anonymous said...

Hey tmbg copy-catter! I can't believe you are supposed to be responsible for the whereabouts of both your car keys and your car when others areclearly moving them. That is just too much!

Anonymous said...

I have always thought the tow trucks here are fascinating and wanted to take pictures. Now I'll just send people to your blog :). It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks about stuff like that. I think it's very kind of them to tow your car and not make you pay to get it back. I don't think they do that here in Kiev.

Tami said...

Very fun and interesting blog. It's nice to get away from Ethipia and learn about what's going on in another part of the world. Hey...can I be your friend? LOL I'll be back to play with you again soon.

Calico Sky said...

holy moly! At least they relocated it for you...you could cash in on this one if you ever can't find a parking spot!

I love the architecture of the building opposite you!