17 January 2009

Scarlett's right

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. (Profound, eh?) And Scarlett is right--it is another day.

Thanks for the encouragement when I was still in yesterday.

Yes, all yesterday's post was true. But, it's not the state that I live in. I just got hit while I was sitting in front of the computer, keyborad on my lap, and it all spilled out. By the end of the post, I was already feeling better. Now, with some St. John's wort in me, my sleep tank filled and some spaghetti for breakfast I'm feeling better. And that is much more like me. A pollyannaish outlook may seem disingenuous to those who don't know me irl, but really, it's pretty kateish. And it's nice to have it back.

I had a post started a while back that talked about how I can still feel kateish in the midst of living here. One occurrence came when I was buying a Christmas tree. I was obviously their first customer and they hadn't worked out all the kinks yet. There was a big tent outside Okey. You chose your tree (potted), got a ticket, and took it inside to pay. No one quite knew where I was supposed to pay and I trekked back and forth between a checkout line and the information desk several times. They each kept referring me to the other. It was funny. But, that's not the kateish bit.

When I'd finally paid and brought out the receipt and reassured them that they could keep it (they were quite flummoxed that there was only one copy) they asked me which tree. I showed them and the woman asked the man what tree it was--big or little (ha! I chose the biggest little tree.) The man said it was little. I replied, "Yes, a little Christmas tree." and sang the first line of a song in Russian to them about a little Christmas tree in the cold winter.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I burst into song with little provocation. (This is a constant source of amusement to Ann Marie. Yes, it happens during phone calls, too.) To be able to do this in Russian was fun. It's the only Russian New Years song I know, and I only know parts of it, but it just popped into my head and out of my mouth before I even thought about it. I got to sing it! And the workers recognized it, sang the second line back to me, and gave me my tree.

I am a pretty good do-er of little girls' hair. When I walked into the orphanage for the Christmas party, I was greeted not with a cup of tea, but with, "Kate! Make the girls' hair look beautiful." It was the nicest greeting. It made me feel like part of the family instead of a guest. And it's nice to know that French braids are as coveted in a Russian orphanage as they are in my classroom and in the homes of the US.

These little bits of kateishness are encouraging to me. They're things that say that I am still me--no matter where I am.

Home will come. Life will unfold. The waiting will end...one way or another. And then we'll see.

ps Jenni, that's one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare in Love! Thanks for reminding me. I've added it to the quotes at the top.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Proving that I have a blurred line between virtual things and things in front of my face...I called the world acc to Gertrude yesterday to talk about your post and brainstorm ideas to make it better for you. My answer was still that you should come to TN. See how many peeps are fighting over you?

Rachael said...

Hey Pollyanna: I'm sorry I didn't get over here to comment on your growl post and offer you another bit of long distance encouragement before you were already done growling and back to your usual self. Pollyanna always prevails. But, it's good to know that she has a growly side too. (although I'm sorry you have so much to growl about on your plate of late!)

Tami said...

So glad you are back to your Kateish self! I knew it couldn't last long...but certainly understand. The struggle you have gone through to bring your girl(s) home would have scared off so many of us a long time ago. Glad to have you back! :)

InventingLiz said...

I also intended to come back to yesterday's post to comment and offer support, but by the time I got back to you, you were already back to yourself!

Glad that writing it all down helped you get through it. And I'm going to have to try spaghetti for breakfast next time I'm feeling down, sounds like a pretty neat trick...

Jenni said...

We're all entitled to a little growliness every now and then, but I'm glad to see your kateishness shining through.

Anonymous said...

oy - I'm sorry I wasn't up to date enough to see yesterday's post and offer some comfort - but I am very happy to see today's post. Glad you are feeling better.

Tina in CT said...

Glad to see that you're feeling much better.

I had spaghetti tonight at my girlfriend's house. We had a scrapping evening.

Holly said...

Not to bring down your Pollyanna-ish-ness, but I meant to mention that you don't have to live all the way in Russia to wonder where your home is/place is. I feel that way myself.

I'm envious of your French braiding skills. My poor Grace has to suffer at the hands of someone completely inept at doing girls' hair.