08 May 2009

v.i.c.t.o.r.y

I'm loafing around home today enjoying the luxury of having a four-day weekend. Water was delivered this morning (on time--will wonders never cease) and the kitten is off to the vet tomorrow to be spayed. Exciting? No. But having two days to take care of these things AND have two more days off is certainly a luxury.

Today, Europe celebrates VE Day. Russia, of course, celebrates it tomorrow. (Why make things easy and share the celebration?) Here's a link to an old post I wrote about Victory Day. And here's a shorter post from last year on the same subject. (I've lived here long enough now that nothing seems new.)

(And, might I add, since I was searching through the 500+ posts on this blog for various and sundry reasons, there are many very well-written posts in the archives? I entertained myself reading them. Caution: lots of typos and they're not all gems. But, if you're stuck in-country and looking for something to read it might help pass the time. Right, Irkutsk families?)

I hope each and every one of you finds some victory, no matter how small, to celebrate this weekend.


(Barb, look what I had waiting for this post before you even asked. A picture! See? Not very exciting.) eta: a picture of my fav Victory Day poster from this year. Before I saw this one, I'd only see billboard versions. I am not ready to drive in St. P traffic and take photos at the same time. My talents do have limits!

These are the only pictures I've taken of late (with my fabulous and very fast but also very big camera) that don't contain either children in orphanages or my students. It's all I've got that's suitable for a public blog.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason that the day is different is because by the time Germany officially capitulated to the Soviet Union, it was already the 9th of May in Moscow. I don't see why they should have to change history and the way they have celebrated it for decades in order to make it more convenient for Western expats.

julian said...

oooh, ouch.
Anyway, I am home today too. Celebrating a victory of sorts. It's a mothers day tea at Anni's school, and since she is in kindergarten I want to go..Celebrating my daily victory of motherhood...
Have a great 4 day weekend, and hope the kitty feels okay when home...

J. said...

I love to read about the holidays that Russians celebrate...THANKS!

kate said...

Anonymous, can you say "tongue in cheek"? If you clicked on my post from last year, you'll see that I explained the timing and why it is celebrated on different days.

annmarie said...

Well, we don't celebrate this Victory Day, so I'm not sure it matters what day it's on...why does nastiness show itself on blogs as "anonymous."

Is that Greek?

Barb said...

hee hee . . . Funny email you sent me:) Thanks for the info:) No holiday here today, but I did sit my lazy self out on the terrace and catch some rays.

Debbie said...

I love the info on daily life in Russia AND especially the pictures. I can SO PICTURE the closing for holidays - how many did we have during our stay??

And yes, as a (former) "stuck in country" IRK family, reading blogs is a great time passer!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Someone is grouchy today...

Thank you for all of your posts...it is no great to read a blog from someone who is adopting AND living there.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kristine

Annie said...

Thanks for the photos! :)

We were in Russia for Victory Day the year we adopted Sergei; never, ever will I forget how happy I was.

Funny - I was looking at some of my old posts while looking for something for Tami - isn't it fun to be surprised by things you've written?

Unknown said...

YA know, it has been a WEEK of unnecessary finger pointing and misunderstood comments.

That aside, I vote for more pics on your blog! The way things are going, we'll have to be in Russia for 2-3 months (just a little sarcastic) when we FINALLY go - so bring on the witty posts and photos!

Tina in CT said...

Being in Victory Park for the Victory Day celebration was thrilling. Thousands and thousands of people so we really kept our eyes on the kids. As we were leaving, everyone was squished so we held onto the kids with tight grips. So glad to be a part of it. We'd started the day off with the Victory Day celebration in Tamara's neighborhood park.