10 June 2009

mouths of babes

On the way out the door today (I'm not sure what started this) one of my big-hearted students (whose brother I taught last year and whose younger sibs I have next year) earnestly told me,

"Miss X, there are so many important things you need to find out about her. Like her birthday. Can you imagine if you didn't know that?"

"You're right, Kealan. That is important. That's probably the first thing I'll find out."

"No." he replied emphatically, halting in his homeward journey and facing me in all seriousness. "First," he continued emphatically, "you've gotta know her name."


* * * * * * * * * *
Former students (current fifth graders) were wondering about d2b while I was on playground duty this morning (a duty I love). One of the girls asked me if I had a picture of her in my mind. I told her that I tried really hard not to so that I wouldn't be disappointed. The girls went on to say that they have been imagining her. They think she will have big, brown (or blue) eyes and shoulder-length light brown hair. They think she will be rather petite (or not). Her name is likely Olya or Nastia (or something really unusual for a Russian name). This varies depending on whether you asked Vani (or Neta).

15 comments:

votemom said...

i'm really glad you get to be with your kids right now. what a sweet time and also a great diversion from all that is running thru your mind day and night.

i think she will have brown or blue or green eyes - haha!

Tami said...

I LOVE how kids think! :) I can't begin to tell you how excited I am for you. Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately - the move has really kicked my tail. But I've been thinking of (and praying for) you. ;)

Jen said...

I agree with Kealan, first you should find out her name!!!

What precious children you teach!

Debbie said...

They are so thoughtful!

Annie said...

Those are all adorable thoughts...and what I like best, what is most endearing, is how much thought they are giving it. Can't you just tell they are so happy for you?

Maura said...

I think the thoughtful interest that your students show in D2B shows how much they care for you!

What sweet comments -just thinking about them must bring a smile. :-)

Rachael said...

So cute.

It's the same with bio kids: you wonder what they'll look like, how it will feel to hold them, etc. Then with adopted kids, you throw in that whole..."I wonder what their name will be, or how old they are?"

Either way, such exciting times, all the anticipation. I envy you being in this stage, cause it's really just so full of hope and joy and magic.

Have a great time next week. I hope all your expectations are met!

Melissa said...

I also apologize that I haven't been commenting...but I have been keeping up when I have a moment to sit down and read. What an exciting time...and I hope - and pray - that all goes well! Your kids are precious. I think I would so enjoy teaching children who are so thoughtful and curious!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I really enjoyed this post...kids always have very wise advice and information...so neat how much they care as well which says a lot for you!

Kristine

Heidi said...

I've got two Olya's, so that's my vote. hahaha
can't wait!!!

Unknown said...

so, how many days until you leave?

Deb said...

Sounds like your students have a very clear picture of what your d2b looks like. :-)
How sweet of them all to ask you so many questions.

ktates said...

love it

The Accidental Mommy said...

that is so sweet and cute, the kids at your school. What nice little ones they are!

beckyww said...

Very wise!