24 September 2006

title-less

Well, my sick cat has gotten much sicker. Beazy hasn't been eating and has been vomiting. The vets didn't take it very seriously (standard iv cocktail of vitamins daily) until my other cat got sick, too. Then, they treated both a BIT more aggresively. The cocktail had a few added ingredients--and I had to go find some GEPTRAL for them. Lena has recovered, but Beazy is still very, very ill. All the advice I get is to prepare myself for her to die. Not really the American can-do attitude. I haven't been able to locate the contact details of the last vet Beazy saw in the US, so it's just me and the Russian-speaking, Russian-thinking veterinary world. Those are pretty tough odds.

I finally convinced the vet to give her an antibiotic, and that seemed to help. I'm spending a couple hours each day, morning and night, getting iv treatments. I'm now force-feeding her, too. Things are grim.

One vet, the one I like, told me that she "believed seh would be okay, maybe on Monday". (No wonder I like her.) She also asked when we were going back to the US. I'd take her back this week, but don't think she'd clear customs in her current state. (She's pretty yellow. Cats try to metabolize body fat when they stop eating. Their bodies cannot do this, and it causes serious problems with the liver.)

So--time for The Glad Game. I'm glad that the nice vet was there to encourage me. I burst in to tears in the office. I'm glad that I finally have my car so that I can now DRIVE to and from the vet. I'm glad the nurses and even the doctors have been so nice lately. I'm glad they realize all Beazy's "talking" is just talk. I'm glad they're being sympathetic towards instead of fearful of her.

I'll tell you all about driving in St. P next time. Maybe I'll have some good adoption news then, too! I'm still waiting for housing verification...or for the MoE to reconsider what proof is required of me. (This needs to happen SOON!)

Sorry to be away and then to have so little cheer to share. And many, many thanks for all the kind birthday cards, packages and e-cards. I apologize for not taking the time to thank you sooner! I was delighted to recieve each and every one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kate, that's so hard. My Nike got fatty liver disease when we moved back to the States from Germany. She stopped eating from the stress and lost half her body weight. The vet did surgery and put in an esophogostomy tube, and I fed her through the tube for a while. Fortunately, after a couple of weeks, she was feeling better and started eating on her own. She was SO sick, and I was scared I'd lose her...but she's 15 now, and doing well.

I'll say a prayer for your Beazy.

Suz said...

You're invited to be a part of the new "Blog-Pals connection" Come visit my blog for the explanation of what Blog-Pals is all about!

Suz said...

So sorry to hear about your kitty. They are just like family, for sure!

Rhyne & Jake said...

Kate, I'm sorry about your kitty!! I do pray she gets better soon. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and that you package will be there soon. Hugs!!

Lauri said...

so sorry about your cat... its so hard when they are sick

Suz said...

Wondering how Beazy is doing?