10 May 2007

a better mousetrap

Just learned that the Hermitage keeps cats on the premises (the video footage showed at least 20) to keep down the mouse population. Hermitage workers donate money to pay for veterinary care and food. Apparently, they do such a good job that there aren't enough mice to keep them all fed!

Just thought that was an interesting little tidbit. I've seen the same cat outside the Russian Museum the whole time I've been here. It's white with a gray spot on top of its head. Now, it's been joined by a kitten there that looks just like it and another kitten as well. They all look well-fed and at least one has a collar. I wonder if the same policy prevails there.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Gotta love cats

Anonymous said...

I think that's very cool.

Maggie said...

That's about as natural a method as you can have for dealing with mice. I think that's a great solution!

Anonymous said...

I personally hate cats but I think it's a great idea! I have a dog that takes care of all rodents here...I don't think she'd be welcome at the Hermitage though...

Lea said...

That's pretty cool; cats are great! Hope you are feeling better these days. BTW, I'm blogging again:). I missed it too much:).