27 June 2007

ASpaRAgus

No, it's not Russian. It's just got the emphasis on the wrong syllable (as the sooo old joke goes...).

I just spent about $12 on two handfuls of asparagus. This is the time of year that I crave asparagus and strawberries. The asparagus has been steamed and is marinating in a sauce so indulgent that it makes this a dessert instead of a vegetable (1c soy sauce, 3/4 c evoo, 1/3 c sugar--adjust to taste). Tomorrow I'll eat it cold! And, I'll try to make it last for a couple of days. No promises, though. I think dessert will be... strawberries!

Does the fact that this news about asparagus meritted a post of it's own tell you what a big deal it is? It's a big deal. Big.

Edited to add: evoo is extra virgin olive oil...though the recipe originally called for sesame oil. ::Suz::, it's really good and really easy.

3 comments:

votemom said...

ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

Did you find green asparagus or is it white?

I have yet to see fresh asparagus of any color here in Kiev at any price and I've seen some white asparagus in jars or had it at restaurants.

Suzanne said...

what is evoo?

I'm trying to figure out how to get your balloons and streamers to you. :)