25 June 2007

prezzies

Sorry to have been a negligent blogger. I've had guests here from Moscow and things have been a little...hectic. To attone I'll offer you pictures!

Before they came, I went over to spend the afternoon with a parent from last year's class. They adopted both their children and (Mom especially) are really excited and supportive. I came home laden with gifts! D2b now has...

a beautiful cradle from Africa.

Their daughter was adopted from Tanzania. They were the first international family to adopt there. (It is so nice to have wood in the flat! My desk and bed from the US are the only real items in the flat. Everything that came with the flat--floors included--is laminate. I'm not a fan of laminate.)

a high chair/booster seat from Indonesia.

Their son was adopted while they were there. The guardrail is removable and the seat is adjustable and will last us a long time. It will fit d2b no matter what her age. (Those who know me are certainly agog and aghast to see living plants in my flat. Me, too! The lavender I've grown from seed. Did you know that the leaves of the plant smell good? I didn't. I thought only the flowers were...scent-ful.The flower was a gift...and already looks a little worse for wear. But, maybe it will survive...)


a car seat from Germany.


Hooray! I feel much safer trusting the Germans than I do the Russians when it comes to car seat safety. (Yes, a five-point harness would be best. But, that's not even available here yet.)


More soon about our festivities last weekend--pictures included!

11 comments:

Elle said...

I want one of those highchairs so bad. Rhonda has one for Clyde and I fell in love with it!

votemom said...

what a great visit you must have had, and how cool, Cool, COOL to have gifts from around the world!!

Deb said...

The cradle is adorable. I can almost see it rocking.
I've looked at highchairs similar to that one. Very nice.
Sounds like you had an awesome weekend.

Anonymous said...

I have that booster chair for my kids and I love it! I recommend it to everyone. I think it is my favorite kids item so far.

JennStar said...

How fun- items from around the world!! I love the cradle! Beautiful!!

Melissa said...

very nice stuff. Christmas came early this year for you, huh?

Unknown said...

Hey, great items and how internationally diverse!! Can't wait to hear of your D2B using those new items.

Lea said...

Wow, excellent gifts. I know what you mean about the Russian car seats. When we were there, they had just started requiring them. Our facilitator in Moscow had two news ones in his van and we were the first to use them. He had very good intentions but the seats were crap and they were not very well secured. One was in the front seat and one was next to us, on the bench seat behind the driver. It kept falling off the bench and leaning against the side of the van. I felt like our sons were safer in our arms than in those seats. Sorry for the long comment. It just brought back some memories:). Hope you are enjoying your summer.

MoscowMom said...

Hi! How exciting for you. We have the chair, too--it's by Stokke and I think the company is based in Sweden. It even adjusts to be an adult chair! I cherish the friendships with past students and their families, too--how nice that you can share your adoption journey with that mom.

Suz said...

Kate, you are on your way! Doesn't all of that stuff just make you so excited to envision D2B!!

Oh how I hope the time is close for all of us!

Calico Sky said...

Beautiful cradle and highchair. What are those highchairs called? I know there is a name to describe them, but can't remember what it is?

ooohhh Tanzania, I have a friend who would love to adopt from there as she has worked there as a nurse & missionary!