23 January 2010

Yesterday

Lexi was still sick so we left school at lunchtime (I had a parent observing in the morning) and took a taxi to the doctor. They wouldn't treat her--even with my insurance card and even though I've been seen there myself in the past-- b/c I didn't have a credit card with me. So we took a taxi home. Total cost of 3 taxis that day: 1100r.

The consulate motorpool called and said that 1. my battery had cracked in half due to the cold and 2. they'd take my car to the dmv equivalent next week. I guess that means another week of taxis in the morning and waiting until 4:30 for the bus in the afternoons. Long and expensive days.

A woman persisted in trying to deliver a telegram to me. She eventually gave up after much explaining that I didn't understand, speak Russian, expect a telegram, or know what to do. Curious, though, 'cause telegrams are so romantic, I asked the concierge later what it was all about. It wasn't for me. The persistent woman simply had the wrong address.

12 comments:

votemom said...

i honestly do not know how you have not completely lost your mind.

Lindy D. said...

Life in Russia sounds too hard.
Hope Lexi feels better soon.

Rachael said...

Hope Lexi is okay and feeling better by now.

Telegram? I didn't even know that was still an option!

Barb said...

Hope Lexi is feeling better already!

The Accidental Mommy said...

Poor Lexi! Poor MOMMA! What a mess, I hope she is okay.

The telegram- that cracks me up. Right, what would you even do with one? Was it written up on a manual typewriter?

Unknown said...

which begs the question - how cold does it need to be to crack a battery? GEEZ!

Lindsay said...

Hope Lexi is feeling better now. Your doctor stinks! Fancy refusing to see a sick child.

Good luck on getting the car fixed.

And thanks for your last comment.

Annie said...

The telegram thing is quite disappointing..... I know what you mean - hope springs eternal.... Will it be a mysterious proclamation of love? Or, notice of sudden coming-into of money?

I hope Lexi is feeling better!

I actually had that turning-away of a sick person here in Lansing....they refused to see Maxim even when he had an obvious and obviously painful burn, because they didn't take medicaid. I wanted to scream - but don't you have any COMPASSION?! I figured they could offer ice, or an "I'm sorry" or SOMETHING! Just a shrug, and the information that they didn't know where I could take him....

Unknown said...

It is never that cold here in Tennessee. I'm just sayin. Say the word.

Tina in CT said...

Is there an equivalent of Moscow's European Medical Center in St. P?

Isn't there someone from the school that lives nearby that you and Lexi can ride to and from school with?

Hope Lexi is feeling better.

kate said...

That's how I'm feeling these days, too--like I'm ready for an easier life.

YES--the telegram WAS written on a manual typewriter! And it wasn't sealed or anything--just a little piece of typed paper.

(Tina, that was Euromed that turned us away. We went to the American Medical Clinic instead--and will from now on.)

Tina in CT said...

My kids in Moscow are all sick and spent hours yesterday at the doctor's as he had to fit each of them in.