19 December 2006

popcorn

Here's a quickie to see if we can get our lurkers to comment...

In addition to an oral and a written tradition, a visual tradition of storytelling has evolved over the last 100 years or so. I'm a firm believer in the importance of storytelling of all types. It seems that the holidays bring out the need we have for the re-telling of favourite stories.

So, what holiday movies do you watch every year?

I watch It's a Wonderful Life, the old Miracle on 34th Street, Meet Me in St. Louis (not exactly a Christmas movie, but...) and the animated Grinch every year. This year I finally tracked down Animaniacs Hellooooo, Holidays and am looking forward to seeing it again. (Don't judge--I also used to watch two Santa Barbara episodes I loved with the cast acting out the nativity story while Brandon was is a coma, Mason & Julia reunited and Cruz & Eden playing Santa by going into homes through the television set--not everyone has a chimney these days--annually, but in my many moves it's been lost.)

Edited to add: Humph. Hellooooo, Holidays didn't contain the song I wanted. BUT this is the youtube link for it... Even that's missing a verse. It should have "A B C, D E F G, H I J K M N, O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z No L, No L..."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a Wonderful Life, The Christmas Story, Sound of Music, and a new classic -- Elf.

Anonymous said...

Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, Santa Clause (w/Tim Allen), White Christmas, Polar Express, and I just found it cheap on DVD so this year I can add National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Rhyne & Jake said...

I absolutely love Christmas Vacation. A co-worker and I quote this movie over our cubicle all year long. I mean who doesn't laugh at Cousin Eddie in the white sweater with the green dickie underneath?

My other favorite is Elf and Frosty the Snowman.

Anonymous said...

Scrooged for the grownups at our house, and our all time family fav--The Muppet Christmas Carol... "Light the lamp, not the rat! Put me out! Put me out!" We even listen to the soundtrack!

Anonymous said...

I love watching Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas every year. The River Bottom Nightmare Band? Come ON! Jim Henson was brilliant. The story is sweet, the music is simple and heartwarming. It makes me happy! --devon

kate said...

Devon, I haven't seen that one in ages! Have you got it on DVD?

Anonymous said...

I just answered this very question on a forum I'm on and my first response was Meet Me In St. Louis! You have good taste! I love all those clay animation Christmas movies...Rudolph, Frosty, etc. and the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.

Anonymous said...

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Love Actuall are my ALL TIME FAVOURITES! Then Home Alone 1 and 2. And it my not be a technical 'Christmas movie' but the Sound of Music comes up top!!!!
Um Kate, i LOVE Santa Barbara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I found another SB fan!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I remember when Brandon was in a coma...we watch the 24 hours of A Christmas Story, Elf and Christmas Vacation and I ADORE Love Actually. Such a sappy movie, but it's all Brits, so I am addicted. man, I have issues...

Anonymous said...

Kate-- Yes, I got Emmit Otter on DVD a few years back when they first released it in that format. There are actually two different versions, and both have some editing. The original, full length version cannot be purchased anywhere. The "collector's edition" does not have any of Kermit's narration, and the regular version (which I own) has cut out one of Kermit's parts as well as shortend a scene and a song. So it's not exactly as i remember from childhood, but still gives me warm fuzzies. --devon

Lea said...

I am a frequent lurker so thought I would drop line. My favorite is the Grinch movie because I just love the rhyming and it's just too cute and funny (just read your post on this; great job!).

Merry Christmas!

*ks* said...

Kate,
Surprisingly enough, I am actually watching Meet Me In St. Louis as I read and type. How can you resist little Margaret O'Brien... and Judy Garland in that beautiful red dress?! =) It's always been a Christmas favorite of mine. However, I'm sad to see that Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown and The Muppet Christmas Carol are not on your list and I feel you should remedy this in 2007! "Small One" was one of my favorites as a kid, but I think I'm one of the six people who have seen it. It's a little cartoon movie about the donkey that Mary rode to Bethlehem. As an adult, it makes me cry big tears - so I don't pull it out very often. Hope you're well on this 2nd day of Christmas! Much Love, Kelly