26 September 2007

fall

It's my favorite time of year. The trees are changing colors, there's a nip in the air... It's time for football games and scuffling through leaves. We're having "Babushke Summer" right now. Obviously, it's the Russian equivilent of our Indian Summer. It got it's name, I'm reliably informed, because this time of year is like a woman who is having her last flush of beauty and vigor before she lapses into winter and old age. (Just an observation: It seems this always happens right after the city officials have, after being faced with an early winter onset and many cold, damp days, decided to turn on the city's centralized heat. As soon as the heat is turned on the weather warms up. Конечно. Ето нормально. Of course. It is normal.)

Yesterday was a perfect autumn day. It was sweater weather--cool and sunny. I went and walked through the garden next to The Church on Spilled Blood and the Summer Gardens. The light was just golden. It was heavy and soft--like a kitten who's fallen asleep on your chest and is purring contentedly.


I wasn't the only person who was out trying to both capture and enjoy the afternoon. I met many people with cameras and easels. I'll share more once I sort through the masses of photos I took, but I'll leave you with one from the Summer Garden.

7 comments:

Tami said...

I am convinced, Kate, that you live in the most beautiful city in the world! That picture is breathtaking...and the words you use to describe the day just make me want to run outside and enjoy the wonderful weather we're having here. Aaaaah Autumn. I love it!

Anonymous said...

so pretty....love the picture....and love the colors of autumn.

Beckie

Rachael said...

Oh I love fall too.

Katya and I walked through the summer garden. The most interesting thing about it for me (during mid-day) were all the nannies with posh prams and bundled up little ones tucked inside.

Lisa said...

Now that sounds like a truly delightful afternoon! Glad you got to enjoy it before things get really cold.

Melissa said...

Just Beautiful. My favorite kind of day.

Unknown said...

Oh, I too love Fall. I only wish we had this season in San Antonio. It is still in the 90s here and won't cool off for a couple more months. It was beautiful in Vladivostok, sunny and in the 70s each afternoon. In Moscow it was only in the 60s, THAT was beautiful weather. Crisp enough for a jacket, but not cold - I love it! It must be beautiful in St.P about now.

I loved Russia, the climate, the countryside the food (mostly), I used to think how hard it must be for you to live abroad, but now I think you are the lucky one!

Lea said...

I love fall too. Actually, I love every season when it starts, but most especially fall and spring. It looks and sounds so beautiful. We had a small taste of fall and the summer came back but it won't be long now before we have fall for real.